Interview with Richard Choe

The press called him Dick. He's not Dick Cheney nor is he Dick Jones. But he is Dick Choe or better known to us as Richard Choe, an ex-national footballer.

Having played alongside great names such as Chow Kwai Lam, Abdullah Nordin and N. Balakrishnan in the 1960s, he was one of the gems of the Malacca High School.

He obtained his primary education at the Tranquerah English School between 1949 and 1955. He was later transferred to the Malacca High School and graduated from there in 1960.

While in MHS, he was actively involved in sports. He was the captain for the football team, the athletic team, the rugger team and assistant captain for the hockey team. Nevertheless, football was his forte.

Together with Robert Choe and N. Balakrishnan, they were the first Malacca High School boys to represent the nation in football.

Below is the interview with Richard made on the 23rd June, 1991 from 2.00 pm to 3.00 pm :-

Fook Meng: When did you start having an interest in football ?
Richard: My father was an ex-state player and therefore football is in my blood. Even from a very young age, Robert and I would go to the MGS field and play with the kampung folks. Inter-kampung competition were organised and this really contributed a lot into moulding us as footballers.

Augustine: At what age were you first called for the national squad ?
Richard: At age 17, while I was still a schoolboy, I was selected to represent Malaya in the first Asean Youth Tournament. Three years later, I was promoted to the senior team.

Fook Meng: How did you feel when you were first selected ?
Richard: Naturally, I felt great and honoured. As I said, I was just a schoolboy and as one of the youngest player in the squad.

Tong Wee: What was your first match ?
Richard: The first time I played for the senior team was in 1962 against the Philippines. We trashed them 7 - 0 and you can therefore say I started on the right footing.

S. Khoon: What position do you usually play ?
Richard: My coach at that time, the late Chiew Seng Kwie believed in 'utility players'. I was first placed as a right winger. Later on, he moved me to the inside forward and eventually placed me as a centre-back. I help his team-mates to attack when needed and to defend when in danger.

Fook Meng: What was your most memorable match ?
Richard: It was the match against Korea in the Merdeka Tournament. I was running along the right flank when the ball crossed to me. I could still remember vividly that I used my left foot to blast the ball to the corner of the net. The Korean goalkeeper couldn't do a single thing.

Fook Meng: What was your most disappointing match ?
Richard: I don't have any disappointing match.

Tong Wee: What was your crowd capacity each time you played ?
Richard: We had quite a strong side at that time and the Merdeka Stadium was usually filled to the brim; somewhere around 20,000 to 25,000 spectators.

Augustine: Were you given any nickname by the press ?
Richard: Dick, it's an American way of saying Richard.

S. Khoon: At what age did you retire from football ?
Richard: At age 30, that's one year after I got married to Susan.

Fook Meng: From your experience as a footballer, do you encourage students to take up football seriously ?
Richard: Since Malaysia is in a semi-professionalism stage, I think football offers quite a bright future for anyone who is dedicated, committed and willing to sacrifice time and energy. However, if you're good in both studies and football, then my advice it to give priority to your studies.

S. Khoon: What is your opinion on the recent Malaysia-Englad match ?
Richard: Judging from the outcome of the match, I think the national players did quite well. England, as you know, is the world power in football while we are just struggling to climb up the ladder. Moreover, the English side was established for quite some time while the national team was formed on a short notice.

Fook Meng: In this respect, are you saying that the national squad is better compared to the one during your time ?
Richard: Unfortunately, no. The standard has declined. I also noticed that the pattern of play has changed. During my time, goals can be scored beautifully from as far as 18 yards. But today, almost every goal is scored from inside the penalty box.

Fook Meng: What do you think is the factor for this decline ?
Richard: I think it is the players' attitude. There are many attractions nowadays compared to 30 years ago. So, they tend to get distracted.

Tong Wee: A couple of years ago, FAM sent the national players for commando training in Kem Terendak. Do you think that was necessary ?
Richard: I don't think that was necessary because if you have a very strict coach, he will be able to instill discipline in you with or without commando training.

Augustine: What do you think will mould a player, himself or the coach ?
Richard: Himself, of course. If a player doesn't have desire and determination to succeed, the coach can't do much.

S. Khoon: The FAM hired some foreign coaches to train the national team. Do you think they are better compared to the local coaches ?
Richard: In my opinion, local coaches are just as good as foreign coaches. However, I think the best coaches are ex-players. This is important since verbal instructions alone is insufficient. A good coach must be able to illustrate and demonstrate.

Fook Meng: What about the foreign players in the Semi-Pro League ? Do you think they contribute much to Malaysian football ?
Richard: Not very much. Of course, when you bring in foreign players, you're blending their style of play with the local style of play. In the end, we have different styles of play in one single league. This adds diversity to the league and makes it more interesting. Besides this, foreign players also pose a challenge to the local lads in getting a place in the State team. Other than these two advantages, I don't see any other.

Fook Meng: With all the efforts that FAM is taking to upgrade the standard of Malaysian football, what do you think is the most successful effort ?
Richard: I think it is the 'Barcelona Babes' project. They have a very good coach, Chow Kwai Lam and he's a tough nut. Nevertheless, it will take some time for these babes to grow.

Fook Meng: That's all the questions we have. We would like to thank you.

Interview conducted by 4 Science 1, 1991.


Aknowledgement: We would like to thank Mr. Richard Choe for sacrificing his precious time and who helped to make this interview successful.

Comments

Popular Posts