Siew Sin - The Simple, Amiable School Boy

It was with profound sorrow I learnt from a letter-written to me by my brother in Singapore that my one-time classmate, Tan Siew Sin, had passed away.

I was admitted in Standard IV at the High School, Malacca, in January 1925. My admission number was 4320.

In January 1927, when I was in Standard VI, a puny little boy dressed in milk-white satin drill joined me. Our class master was Mr. K.L. Chitty. In the classroom, Siew Sin looked a child in the midst of boys. Though the youngest in the class, he excelled in English and Literature and was above the average in other subjects.

During the 10am interval most boys went to the canteen for short eats but gentle and soft spoken Siew Sin helped himself to the milk and half-boiled egg he had brought from home.

Far from being aristocratic and arrogant - being the son of the honourable Mr. Tan Cheng Lock - Siew Sin was simple, amiable and unassuming.

He got on well with his classmates and many often gathered around him - they loved him for his innocence and intelligence.

He passed the Cambridge Junior examination when he was only 13 + and the Cambridge Senior the following year i.e. December 1930.

When we were in the Cambridge classes, English Literature and English Language subjects were taught by Mr. T.J. Thomas and Mr. Goh Tiow Ching. Both these gentlemen had high praise for Siew Sin for his scholarship.

At the young age of 14 his vocabulary of English words were rich.

Siew Sin was at no time reprimanded by any of his teachers for neglecting homework or class work. He was a good student and was held in high esteem by all the teachers.

During those days, the Federated Malay States and the Straits Settlements celebrated May 24 as British Empire Day. That day was observed as a Government holiday. One year, a fortnight before May 24, Mr. Thomas requested the boys of the Cambridge Senior Class to write an essay on British Empire Day. Needless to say Siew Sin's essay was the best.

I sat the Cambridge Senior examination along with Siew Sin in December 1930 and after the results, I left for Ceylon to study medicine in Colombo.

In 1972 my brother in Singapore invited me to attend his daughter's wedding. The thoughts of my Alma Mater came to mind. I was also aware that Siew Sin was the Minister of Finance in Malaysia.

I wrote to him that I intended to visit Singapore and Malaysia and indicated my desire to meet him. He promptly reply that I should have lunch with him.

He was again the unassuming Siew Sin he was in his school days. Yes, he was a good-natured person.

A son of the 'Sleepy Hollow', as Malaccaa was then known, and a product of the prestigious High School, Malacca, Siew Sin put Malacca on the map.

May his soul rest in peace.
S.K. VADIVALE

Source: New Straits Times, Wednesday 11 May 1988 Page 11

Comments

Popular Posts