MALACCA HIGH SCHOOL - : LOOKING BACK THE FIFTIES



I am delighted to learn that your Editorial Board has taken the initiative to obtain messages from previous School Captains for this year's issue of the Optimist. This will certainly help to surface old boys like myself who otherwise have been too busy with our own vocation or profession to be involved with activities of our Alma Mater.

Twenty one years has since past since I left the High School where I spent seven good years studying under the guidance of fine teachers. I had spent many happy hours too in the school's sporting and extra-curricular activities which I considered just as important to mould character and personality. I enjoyed those hours of training in the sprint events and running for the School in many inter-school and other sports meets which in my school-days were keen with rivalry amongst Malacca's premier boys' schools, our school, Anglo Chinese School and St. Francis Institution.

During my tenure as School Captain, I urged the then Principal, the late Mr. S. Kandiah to adopt a new criteria or basis for selection of School Prefects. I wanted my Board of Prefects to comprise of students who were all-rounders, sportsmen and even 'school heroes'. I was pleased that the late Mr. Kandiah acceded to my request. I found that my Board managed to maintain school discipline without much problems.

I hope that the same criteria or basis is being followed presently.

Permit me to wish your Editorial Board every success in the publication of this year's Issue of the Optimist.

Ee TH
School Captain  1959

Comments

Popular Posts