MAKE IT HAPPEN, HOMMIE !

"Get off your heavy butt and do something !"


Inspiring words from my dear, oh so plump, but definitely cute, if never more outspoken, school counsellor, Cikgu Salmah. The exact words repeated down the century from one self-motivated individual to a more sedated, otherwise lazy person. And it did wonders for me back in 2003 when I was a fat fourteen year old teenager whose weight is putting the fear of an early death on my parents.


I worked , I toiled, I laughed and I cried, I made friends, I made enemies, I fell but I got up. And here I am now, standing on the highest step of the school's social ladder. Not without shedding a few bucketfuls of tears along the way, mind you ! Now look at me, I am a School Prefect, Vice-President of several clubs, a patisserie chef, singer, student councillor, a blue belt in taekwando, a white belt in silat, the trainer for the school's choral speaking team, a writer and most important, a Brat !


To me, anyone can do if they want to. All they need is just a little push, a lot of creativity and good moral support from friends. Seriously speaking, teen years are like; the time for you to explore and discover yourself so that you can gracefully prepare yourself for adulthood. Don't bother practising  wearing a neck-tie for the rest of your life. There are still loads of jobs out there that can earn you huge bucks without you working as a stiff-backed, white collar worker in a dinghy, air conditioned office with a tiny cubicle.


Instead, take some time to know yourself so you can fully explore who you really are. What's the use studying 24/7, nine to five like a slave if you don't bother to get to know yourself ? To be like that is just like being a generic kiasu kid. Face it, your parents pay for everything you want to do, so why don't you take this little time to explore yourself ? Embrace life as a teen. It only comes once in a lifetime. Blink honey, and you'll miss it.


Likewise, spend time with your friends. These people are the ones who can help you because they know how you think. Go to the mall, catch a movie together, chow down some Mickey Dee's and window shop for some clothes.


For me, I'll usually go to this hair studio (Team Hair Studio) where they let young, aspiring stylist do your hair for a mere three ringgit plus wash. Okay, stop for a moment.


Why in the world would a Guy go to a hair saloon to get motivated ? Ain't that what a forty something ladies do ? Open up people, this is Malacca we're talking about. There is only a two-year-age difference from the people in there and me. Plus, I like the atmosphere there. My creative juices only seem to bubble hotly the moment I set foot in there. May be it has got to do with the fact that I'm veins.


Anyway, back to the hair studio. The reason I got there is to actually have a nice long chat with the girl who manages to shampoo my hair every time I set foot there. While she's lathering my hair with a granny smith scented shampoo, we'll be talking everything from studies, fashion, hair styles, debating over the season's hottest colours and gossiping about the patrons that walk through the door.


Secondly, the reason I go there to ogle at all the guys and girls (whom are mostly Chinese) who are weirdly beautiful. Even the fiercest face in there looks iridescently beautiful. Clear and smooth skin, carefully manicured nails, hot clothes and perfectly styled hair seems to be the order for every student in there. It's just amazing what fashion can do to a person. Why do I say this ? Well, for starters, these kids are, mostly those students who didn't pass their major exams. Two, they work hard to make up for what they have lost and three, they like what they are doing. Because they themselves know that they are touching peoples' lives and they know that they are making a difference in this world. Funny how other people who don't study that hard can live a more colourful and fashionable life.


In the end, what I'm trying to stress here is that teenagers should-if possible, must-try to find out who themselves are. Envying others won't work here. Stand on your own two feet, set a goal and make it happen !


DGbAM MHS 2B, 3B, 4S2, 5S2 2003-2006

Comments

Popular Posts