THE STORM

The wind was howling. Howling like a ghost. A rampaging ghost.

http://aakashtyagi.wordpress.com
The weatherman was correct. Definitely, there will be a storm soon. I look out of the window. Bleak. Empty. It reminded me of something. Yes ! It reflected on my life. My life had been filled with nothing but stormy weathers. I had never met my parents.

The wind howled loudly again, followed by the sound of thunder. It took me back twenty years to when I was ten. Yes. That was when this puzzling incident happened in my life which would remain as an enigma to me, forever.

It was a stormy day like this one. I was in an orphanage. I was staring out of the window when I saw a young lady braving the storm to go to the orphanage. I wondered why she had come in such bad weather. It had to be something important. I wondered who this lady was.

http://selfproclaimedmegalomaniac.wordpress.com
I heard someone calling me. It wake me from my wonder. It was Mrs. Lee, the head of the orphanage. "This lady wants to see you," she said. I could still remember her words clearly even though the incident occurred such a long time ago.

The lady walked into the room. I had no room-mate then, for my last one died. Mrs. Lee went off, and we were left alone, face to face.

The lightning struck. The thunder rolled. I recovered from my daze. I sat there in a stupor and the memories started coming back.
"I am your mother." No ! Stop it ! A thousand thoughts sprang into my mind, shouting and screaming for freedom. My head spun at the thought of those words.

She sat down besides me. The memories had started again.

"Let me clear this mystery about me," she began slowly. "I am really your mother. I had an affair with your father. I was naive then, only sixteen. Your father was a married man. But I didn't care. It ended when I told him I was pregnant - pregnant with you. He left me," she said with difficulty.

Even then I could see tears gathering in her beautiful eyes.

Cruck ! The lightning struck and brought forth the memories together with it.

"I had no choice. I sent you for adoption but nobody wanted a handicapped child. I had to send you here. You must understand. I didn't know what to do."

Damn her ! Why did she bring a crippled and bastard child into this world ? I struggled so hard just to survive. Oh, why did she do this to me ? I broke down into tears.

A strong wind gushed in. The memories came flooding back.

"I am sorry. I have to go. I will come and see you again tomorrow," she said hurriedly.

Oh, why ! Why must she do this to me again ? The haunting thoughts started again in my head. They banged the walls around it.

But ...... but she never came back.

I waited for her for the past twenty years but she never showed up. Never ! No sign of her - like she vanished together with the storm. That too was the last storm Malacca ever had until ..... now.

A voice startled me and wake me from my doze.

"I told you I would come back." The memories had turned into reality.

TSY 2 Putih

Comments

Popular Posts